From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Misconfigured system
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 19:21:02
1 I'm beginning to think my system configuration is a mess. It started with
2 worrying about Postfix, but has quickly escalated.
3
4 I was trying to figure out what Postfix knows and where it knows it when
5 I found that I seem to have no domain name. That is, the shell command
6 domainname(1) returns "(none)". This seems odd, because I've got
7 it set up as nearly as I can see according to gentoo docs
8 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2
9 since my /etc/conf.d/net contains (among other things)
10 dns_domain="kosmanor.com"
11 BTW: it also says to set dns_domain_lo, but I have no name for my
12 internal network, and
13 haven't seen a reason to create one.
14
15 Nevertheless, even the system calls getdomainname(2) and uname(2) return the
16 string "(none)".
17
18 What am I missing?
21 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD