From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stage3/handbook mismatch
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 03:12:38
1 On Sep 11, 2012 9:31 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Sep 11, 2012 5:19 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Chris Stankevitz
8 > >> <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > >> > On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
10 > >> > wrote:
11 > >> >> That's a very new change just announced globally today and only for
12 > >> >> new installs. Take a look at eselect news for more info.
13 > >> >
14 > >> > What a coincidence! I went with the older stage3 approach.
15 > >> >
16 > >> > Thank you,
17 > >> >
18 > >> > Chris
19 > >> >
20 > >>
21 > >> I just switched 3 machines over to the new way. It works fine. eselect
22 > >> profile set will create the new link in /etc/portage. I figure the
23 > >> biggest issue for me is that I won't be able to mindlessly type vi
24 > >> /etc/make.conf anymore. ;-)
25 > >>
26 > >
27 > > Ahh... the curse of muscle memory... I bet I'll experience some
28 dumbfounded
29 > > moments for at least one week, staring at an empty vi screen due to
30 muscle
31 > > memory typing /etc/make.conf instead of /etc/portage/make.conf ... :-P
32 > >
33 > > Rgds,
34 >
35 > Someone else suggested (or I think they suggested) putting a link at
36 > /etc/make.conf pointing at the new location. That might help with that
37 > problem. I'm just gonna force myself to learn the new location but
38 > like you're worried about I've already done it a couple of times
39 > today!
40 >
41 > - Mark
44 :q! is the menu if the week, if not month, then ;-)
45
46 Rgds,