From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *sob*
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:03:30
1 On Sunday, 12 June 2022 05:42:56 BST Alan Grimes wrote:
2 [snip ...]
3
4 > All of the followning statemens are true:
5 >
6 > 1. I am never not running seamonkey, it is always open at all times on
7 > my left hand monitor, If at any point it was not on my left hand monitor
8 > either I must have been going through a power failure or something had
9 > broken it, because it is working at the moment I have decided not to use
10 > emerge update for the next six months, two months in to that period at
11 > this point.
12 >
13 > 2. Seamonkey is my default browser.
14 >
15 > 3. Seamonkey cannot be launched twice, ie it cannot be launched on my
16 > right hand monitor because the monitors are using separte X servers and
17 > it would need to be launched twice to come up on that monitor.
18
19 Does a new web browser instance/window/tab have to come up in your RH monitor?
22 > 4. many applications that I run on my right hand monitor try to launch
23 > my default browser which always reports an error message because it is
24 > already running on a different monitor.
27 > Therefore I need to obliterate the concept of a default web browser from
28 > my machine.
29
30 I can think of a couple of options here instead of unsetting a default
31 browser, but I don't know how you may have configured your desktop environment:
32
33 1. You could set up a different default web browser. Take a look at 'man
34 xdg-settings' or for a primer check https://specifications.freedesktop.org/
35 basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html. You'll still run seamonkey as you do
36 anyway, all you'll use the default browser is for other applications to launch
37 ad-hoc.
38
39 2. You could create a customized .desktop file for your seamonkey browser in
40 your ~/.local/share/applications/ by copying the relevant .desktop file from /
41 usr/share/applications/ and changing any sections in it, like [Desktop Action
42 new-window], or [Desktop Action new-tab]. This will open a new window or tab
43 in the same instance of the already running seamonkey.
44
45 Others may know of different ways to achieve the same.