From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: trim for ssds
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 23:08:10
1 On 09/06/2009 02:21 PM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > According to
3 >
4 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29
5 >
6 > trim has been implemented in the 28 kernel. Anybody know what the
7 > option is called? It ain't 'trim'.
8
9 First, thanks for the link, which led me to lwn.net. Those guys have
10 some serious talent and skills that I didn't know about before.
11
12 I found a post there from a year ago, saying this:
13
14 Part of the problem is that the ATA TRIM command isn't fully specified
15 yet, so we'll need to allocate a temporary command to test it. This
16 also means that no existing device on the market can take advantage of it.
17
18 Just by grepping through the linux kernel sources I can see that the
19 kernel automatically does a test to discover if the disk is a SSD, so
20 you don't need to do anything special to make the kernel do that.
21
22 How effective that is for extending the life of a SSD, I have no clue.