From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ...preventing MAC OS from polluting my USBsticks...?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:49:40
1 > On 2019-01-13, at 08:43, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > it happens that I use my usbsticks with a Mac. As soon I use the stick
6 > again with my trusty Linux...I found a lot of added "hidden" files,
7 > which are shorter and renamed versions of files, which are already
8 > there...and there are everywere.
9 >
10 > Is there any hack/trick/<whatever> to prevent MacOS to write to
11 > my usbstick when not instructed to do so?
12
13 There are these two defaults settings, and they don't require root to set them:
14
15 defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true
16 defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteUSBStores true
17
18 These are only for stopping Finder from writing .DS_Store files. Anything you delete on macOS will still go in .Trash/ at the root of the drive.
21 Andrew Udvare