From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: are blocks now "OK" with portage-2.1.6.7 ?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:46:40
1 At Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:24:01 -0400 ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >> Gnome-light recently went stable on x86 so my last emerge world produced
5 >> a long list of packages to merge. Fine.
6 >>
7 >> At the end it says
8 >>
9 >> Total: 93 packages (87 upgrades, 4 new, 2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 223,796 kB
10 >> Conflict: 3 blocks
11 >> Portage tree and overlays:
12 >> [0] /usr/portage
13 >> [?] indicates that the source repository could not be determined
14 >>
15 >> Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]
16 >>
17 >> Since it offers to merge and there are no B's in the list, I assume
18 >> this version of portage resolved the blockage. However, there are
19 >> nearly a hundred packages and some of them are important so I would like
20 >> to confirm that it is OK to let portage merge these.
21 >>
22 >> thanks,
23 >> allan
26 > It should be ok, and as there are "3 blocks", you will probably find
27 > three instances of "[blocks b ]" (note the lowercase "b"), which are
28 > automatically resolved (usually) by an "[unmerge ]" line further
29 > down (or up, if you are using --tree). This corresponds to the new
30 > behavior, which automatically fixes problems like the old
31 > e2fsprogs/com_err/ss/e2fsprogs-libs blocker, without breaking anything
32 > (well, the system may be in an inconsistent state if you loose power at
33 > *exactly* the wrong time, but that can happen anyway during a merge,
34 > even without this new behavior).
35 >
36 > PS: I hope I didn't ramble on too much... this was going to be much
37 > longer, and less coherent.
38
39 Thank you and justin. I did look for the B' (but was looking for
40 capital B) and didn't find it. After justin's msg, I let the emerge go
41 and it has finished successfully.
42
43 Thanks again,
44 allan