From: Douglas J Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] PORTAGE_COMPRESS
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:27:39
1 I was reviewing my Portage settings yesterday and I noticed that I have
2 PORTAGE_COMPRESS set (to bzip2, the default) on both of my servers and it
3 occurred to me that both of these servers have filesystems that support
4 compression (btrfs on one, zfs on the other). So I'm wondering if it still
5 makes sense to have PORTAGE_COMPRESS set or if I should unset it and just
6 let the fs-level compression handle it. Portage is already slow, why have
7 it take the time to do this when the fs does it better and
8 transparently? Thoughts on the matter?
11 Douglas J Hunley (doug.hunley@×××××.com)
12 Twitter: @hunleyd Web:
13 douglasjhunley.com
14 G+: http://google.com/+DouglasHunley