From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo testing and ssd
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:44:40
1 On Fri, Jul 13 2012, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2
3 > Am Freitag, 13. Juli 2012, 13:42:47 schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
4 >> I will be getting a new laptop with ssd (250GB).
5 >>
6 >> I currently run ~amd64 and wonder if this is too much writing for the
7 >> flash.
8 >>
9 >> I have adapted to and now enjoy gnome3. If I were forced to run stable
10 >> to limit compiles I would still use package.accept_keywords to permit
11 >> gnome3.
12 >>
13 >> Any experiences with testing and ssd?
14 >>
15 >> thanks,
16 >> allan
17 >
18 > one ssd for /
19 > one ssd for /home
22 [[ snip ]]
23
24 > testing, kde, + kde-testing overlay
25 >
26 > but:
27 > /var
28 > and PORTDIR not on ssd.
29 >
30 > seriously, intel had once some calculations that even with lots of daily
31 > writes you could go on for years as long as you did not fill up the ssd
32 > completely.
33
34 I will be sure to keep some empty space.
35 thanks,
36 allan