From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:48:45
1 On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 00:27:06 +0000, David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > > Why not mount root read-only, just like in a non-initramfs system?
4 > >
5 > > Any e2fsck commands will be run during the boot runlevel, before
6 > > remounting root rw.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately, the system does not work that way. When running inside
9 > an initramfs, one cannot load executable content from mount points --
10 > only from within the initramfs. So, while it is perfectly possible to
11 > do "ls /mnt/root/sbin/e2fsck" (assuming the root partition has been
12 > mounted ro as /mnt/root), it is not possible to load and execute that
13 > program. [And, yes, I have adjusted the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH shell
14 > variables to address the program and library directories on the mounted
15 > root partition.] After performing a switch_root to the actual root
16 > partition, this restriction is lifted.
17
18 I understand that, but not why you need to run e2fsck before the
19 switch_root. Is this to do with the way your system is set up? The object
20 of the initramfs is only to get the system into a state where / can be
21 mounted and switch_root run, I assume you are trying to do more than that
22 with it.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 WORM: (n.) acronym for Write Once, Read Mangled. Used to describe a
29 normally-functioning computer disk of the very latest design.