From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 00:53:57
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > вт, 1 янв. 2019 г. в 06:45, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >> With the newer Firefox versions, I've noticed something weird about
4 >> downloading files. Usually these are videos using a download helper for
5 >> videos and sometimes it is a normal file download, depends on the site.
6 >> Either way, I get something odd at times. So far, I've yet to see any
7 >> rhyme or reason to it. I can't figure out what triggers it. This is
8 >> what it does. I start a download, either using a video helper add on or
9 >> downloading as a file. I give it a name and location and it shows in
10 >> the download window that it is downloading. However, if I go to the
11 >> directory where it should be, sometimes nothing shows up. It will
12 >> complete the download and then show that it failed after finishing the
13 >> download. However, if I notice that it is not in the directory where it
14 >> should be and I go back to the download window, hit pause and then
15 >> resume, it starts over from the beginning and then shows up in the
16 >> directory where it should be. Most of the time, it shows up that it is
17 >> downloading and it is where it should be without be doing anything
18 >> further but sometimes, it doesn't.
19 >>
20 >> One other thing that it does on rare occasions. It will show it is
21 >> downloading for a good while, sometimes more than half way, then
22 >> disappear in the directory as if it is deleted but still show that it is
23 >> downloading in the download window. I've only seen it do that a few
24 >> times but it is annoying to look and make sure it is downloading a file
25 >> that takes a hour or more only to have it disappear part way through.
26 >>
27 >> This started with the new multi-process versions or whatever it is
28 >> called of Firefox. It acts like a permissions problem or something to
29 >> me. It either thinks it doesn't have write permissions at the start or
30 >> thinks it loses them part way through or something. If it only did this
31 >> when using the add on, I'd think it is that but it also does it when I'm
32 >> downloading as a file with no add on being used. Either way, I'm not
33 >> sure what to look into really. I'm not even sure what to google for to
34 >> see if anyone else is noticing this. What does one call this problem???
35 >>
36 > I experience similar problems with downloading files in Firefox for quite
37 > a long time. I cannot say for how long time exactly, but estimating it
38 > from memory: for about a few years. Yes, t is quite annoying but
39 > currently I have already got the habit to open download manager
40 > every time I download a file, stop downloading it and then restart again.
41 > (I even try to do the same automatically while using other web browsers
42 > like chromium or google-chrome. :)
43 >
44 > However, I believe that it has nothing to do with "the newer Firefox versions"
45 > as I still use Firefox version 52.9.0 (compiled without clang) and all these
46 > troubles with downloading files started even on much more earlier versions.
51 Interesting.  I don't recall it ever doing this with the older versions
52 but maybe whatever it is is just now hitting me for some reason.  That's
53 the thing about random problems, they are random.  Still, at least I
54 know it is not just me.
55
56 Since you mention chromium etc, that makes me wonder if it is the
57 browser at all.  Could it be something else?  A permissions issue
58 maybe?  Some sort of file system problem?  Could it be a common package
59 that these browsers depend on?  Which leads to this question.  Do you
60 use LVM or ext4 or both?  I use LVM and ext4 here.  Odds are, we both
61 have the same dependencies installed so not sure how to figure out if it
62 is one of those.
63
64 At least I'm not alone in this, although I hate that you are having this
65 issue too.  It is annoying.
66
67 Dale
68