From: Francesco Turco <fturco@××××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing Gentoo on a VPS with little RAM
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:45:56
1 Hello.
2
3 I have a Vultr VPS instance with Arch Linux but I'd like to replace it
4 with Gentoo Linux. The last time I tried that I couldn't build some
5 packages because the kernel killed gcc after a while. Please notice this
6 VPS instance has only 768 MiB of RAM. What can I try besides removing
7 -pipe from C(XX)FLAGS and setting MAKEOPTS to -j1? Should I add a swap
8 partition? Currently there's only a single root btrfs filesystem with @,
9 @boot and @home subvolumes. Btrfs doesn't support a swap file as far as
10 I know.
11
12 My VPS is currently used for the following things:
13 - Static personal website
14 - Shaarli (PHP application with no database)
15 - Tiny Tiny RSS (PHP application with database)
16 - ZNC server
17
18 Thanks.
21 https://www.fturco.net/