From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 06:02:00
1 On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 02/08/13 05:48, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> Huh? USE="firmware-loader" is optional and enabled by default in
7 >>>> sys-fs/udev
8 >>>> Futhermore predictable network interface names work as designed, not a
9 >>>> single valid bug filed about them.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Stop spreading FUD.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Looking forward to lastrite sys-fs/eudev just like
14 >>>> sys-apps/module-init-tools already was removed as unnecessary later on.
15 >>>
16 >>> So your real agenda is to kill eudev? Maybe it is you that is spreading
17 >>> FUD instead of others. Like others have said, udev was going to cause
18 >>> issues, eudev has yet to cause any.
19 >>
20 >> Yes, absolutely sys-fs/eudev should be punted from tree since it
21 >> doesn't bring in anything useful, and it reintroduced old bugs from
22 >> old version of udev, as well as adds confusing to users.
23 >> And no, sys-fs/udev doesn't have issues, in fact, less than what
24 >> sys-fs/eudev has.
25 >> Like said earlier, the bugs assigned to udev-bugs@g.o apply also to
26 >> sys-fs/eudev and they have even more in their github ticketing system.
27 >> And sys-fs/udev maintainers have to constantly monitor sys-fs/eudev so
28 >> it doesn't fall too much behind, which adds double work unnecessarily.
29 >> They don't keep it up-to-date on their own without prodding.
30 >>
31 >> Really, this is how it has went right from the start and the double
32 >> work and user confusion needs to stop.
33 >>
34 >> - Samuli
38 > So any bug that udev has eudev has too? Then with that logic, udev is
39 > just as unstable as eudev. You claim eudev has a bug that udev doesn't,
40 > let's see them. Based on your posts, there should be plenty of them.
41 > Funny I haven't ran into any of them yet tho.
42 >
43 > Here is the deal OK. Udev went in a direction I do NOT like. I CHOSE
44 > not to use it and plan to not use it. I PREFER eudev whether you like
45 > that decision or not. I also plan to use eudev as long as it serves my
46 > needs as I suspect others will as well. You can preach FUD all you want
47 > but it works here for me and as others have posted, it works fine for
48 > them. The OP asked for assistance in switching to eudev not for you to
49 > second guess their choice or to second guess anyone else who chooses to
50 > use it.
51
52 I join this statement!
53 Thanks!
56 > Dale
57 >
59 >
60 > --
61 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!