From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting with Windows 10
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 04:09:21
1 On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I've acquired a copy of Windows 10 home edition (or whatever they call it)
5 > and I'd like to install it on this box to dual-boot. This is a UEFI box
6 > though, and I use bootctl from systemd-boot to manage the bootable images.
7 >
8 > Is there some guidance out there to help me do this? I haven't found
9 > anything with Google, and the wiki doesn't help either.
12 Hello,
13
14 It should just work if you create space for it. There are admonitions
15 to install Windows first as people claim it will destroy a disk, but
16 I'm not sure if it ever did this, and it seems to work well with
17 whatever you give it.
18
19 The trickiest part is still the same - going from GRUB or, now, your
20 EFI shell, to Window's bootloader. See here:
21 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Chainloading_Windows.2FLinux_installed_in_UEFI_mode.
22
23 If you don't need to do graphically intensive things I would suggest
24 looking at QEMU/KVM and possibly libvirtd. If you do need to do
25 graphically intensive things, GPU passthrough now works fairly well.
26
27 Cheers,
28 R0b0t1