From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Looking for other Seamonkey users
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2021 14:52:36
1 On Friday, 9 April 2021 00:56:27 BST Dan Egli wrote:
2 > On 4/8/2021 5:12 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > >> I
4 > >> think I'm missing the part that I can access it with a GUI, like when I
5 > >> go to mail.google.com or something.
6 > >
7 > > Dovecot is an IMP server, it doesn't have a GUI. What you are thinking of
8 > > is a webmail *client*. That's just another client, like Thunderbird or
9 > > mutt, as far as Dovecot is concerned. There are a few webmail clients
10 > > available, I use Roundcube.
11 >
12 > It all depends on what you want. I've not used Roundcube, although I
13 > hear it's good. I've used SquirrelMail, Horde, and SOGo. I personally
14 > prefer SOGo, but it's complicated to setup. SquirrelMail is easy, but
15 > lacks a lot of features that SOGo had. Horde is kind of in the middle.
16 > The only thing I'd watch out for is that if you use SOGo, the gentoo
17 > packages are WAY out of date. The most recent SOGo package in portage is
18 > 4.3.2, but you can get the sources for 5.1.0 from the SOGO.NU website.
19
20 Quick clarification:
21
22 A webmail client is a web app, served by a webserver. Adding all these
23 packages, complication and configuration, on what otherwise remains a desktop
24 installation/use case, when the OP already uses a mail client application on
25 localhost to access his emails, makes me think it's a bit of an overkill.
26
27 Unless, instead of a mail client desktop application, a webmail interface is
28 preferred and the burden of configuring and maintaining so many more packages
29 is acceptable.