From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VPN vs LAN address hostname resolution
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 18:52:30
1 On 05/22/13 14:30, Samuraiii wrote:
2 > I'm sorry for mistake the subnet mask for both spaces IS 255.255.255.0.
3 > so it is not overlapping at all.
4 > I apologise for my mistake in notation.
5 > still this is not (mainly) problem with routing but problem with
6 > assigning name to address.
7 > If I had superfast internet connection I would not mind and just use vpn
8 > address space.
9 > So basically i need to assign lan address to computer (laptop) which is
10 > in same location (LAN) as other machines. And vpn address on all other
11 > computers.
12 >
13 > to illustrate:
14 >
15 > hostname: foo
16 > Location:1
17 > address eth0: 10.1.1.3
18 > address tap0: 10.2.2.3
19 >
20 > hotname: bar
21 > Location: 1
22 > addresses are irrelevant
23 > hosts entry for foo is 10.1.1.3 *(this is what I want to update if foo
24 > moves to location 2 to 10.2.2.3)*
25 >
26 > hosname baz
27 > Location: 2
28 > addresses are irrelevant
29 > Hosts entry for foo is 10.2.2.3 *(this is what I want to update if foo
30 > moves to location 2 to 10.1.1.3)*
33 Which machines are joined to the VPN? For a location-to-location VPN,
34 the simplest thing to do would be to have your gateway routers
35 participate in the VPN and handle the routing appropriately. That way if
36 you're on the LAN at location 1 and you send a packet to another machine
37 on the same LAN (using its VPN address), the gateway router knows to
38 send the packet right back onto the LAN. No configuration necessary on
39 the hosts. You can use the same VPN addresses at both locations.
40
41 If that's not possible, set up a DNS resolver at each location and
42 return the appropriate (local or VPN) address.