From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hugin panoramic picture and auto control points.
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 12:15:43
1 Meik Frischke wrote:
2 > Hi Dale,
3 >
4 > Hugin has a USE-flag for SIFT which pulls autopano-sift-C as a
5 > dependency: sift? ( media-gfx/autopano-sift-C ). The SIFT algorithm
6 > used to be patented [1] which could be a possible reason why the
7 > dependency was not enabled by default, though you might have to ask
8 > the maintainer for that. The patent is expired as of this year, so
9 > there is probably little reason to not enable the USE flag for you.
10 > "autopano-noop" is an obsolete wrapper [2] for autopano-sift-C which
11 > might be an artifact from an earlier hugin version upgrade.
12 > Anyway, good that you got it to work.
13 >
14 > Sincerely,
15 > Meik
18 > [1] https://patents.google.com/patent/US6711293B1/en
19 > [2] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/autopano-noop.1.html
23 I already got it working.  I was posting about how to get it to work.
24 Hopefully, if someone googles it, they will find this thread and be able
25 to follow how to set it up and it work.
26
27 Since I installed this so long ago, it likely held the old defaults over
28 from the past.  It may work on new installs.  Oh, I already had the sift
29 USE flag enabled.  Still, the defaults didn't work.
30
31 Interesting to know some history about this tho.  May explain why it was
32 the way it was.
33
34 Dale
35