From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use Flags and Updating
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 13:53:27
1 On 05/20/2014 11:56 PM, yac wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 May 2014 14:49:17 +0300
3 > Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Here's what I usually run when updating the world.
6 >> Long version: emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse
7 >> @world With '--with-bdeps=y' set in the file shown below:
8 >> grep bdeps /etc/portage/make.conf
9 >> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps=y"
10 >>
11 >> Short version: emerge -avuND @world
12 >> -a [--ask]
13 >> -v [--verbose]
14 >> -u [--update]
15 >> -N [--newuse]
16 >> -D [--deep]
19 > It's also good to use -t --unordered-display to see what pulls what and
20 > resolve potential issues.
21 >
22 > Then --keep-going so the whole thing doesn't fail just because one
23 > package fails.
24 >
25 > Then -k to use already built binary packages where applicable
26 > (Actually, I'm not sure why this sometimes gets activated but I see it
27 > from time to time)
28 >
29 > Why do you run the the --width-bdeps=y ?
30 >
31 > ---
32 > Jan Mate(jka | Developer
33 > https://gentoo.org | Gentoo Linux
34 > GPG: A33E F5BC A9F6 DAFD 2021 6FB6 3EBF D45B EEB6 CA8B
35
36 After reading about the flag in the handbook, I thought I'd use it as well.
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
39
40 Code Listing 3.11: Updating your system with dependencies
41
42 # emerge --update --deep @world
43
44 Still, this doesn't mean all packages: some packages on your system are
45 needed during the compile and build process of packages, but once that
46 package is installed, these dependencies are no longer required. Portage
47 calls those build dependencies. To include those in an update cycle, add
48 --with-bdeps=y:
49
50 Code Listing 3.12: Updating your entire system
51
52 # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
53
54 Since security updates also happen in packages you have not explicitly
55 installed on your system (but that are pulled in as dependencies of
56 other programs), it is recommended to run this command once in a while.
59 What would you recommend? Thanks.