From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:21:21
1 On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:42:26 +0000, Graham Murray wrote:
2
3 > >> Why does the app need to know? Browsers normally have an
4 > >> online/offline menu selection and if you try to browse to a site
5 > >> when your network is offline then the browser will generate the
6 > >> appropriate error message.
7
8 You're on a train, it goes into a 3G dead zone, your mailer hangs until
9 it times out, meaning you can't even read cached mails until that happens.
10
11 > >> In any case, these notifications are only
12 > >> really of use on a single-homed non LAN connected system.
13
14 In that particular example, yes. What's wrong with that? There are plenty
15 of people using laptops on wireless connections.
16
17 > Which still does not explain why the applications need to know when a
18 > network interface goes down but does not need to know when (for example)
19 > the ADSL connection (via an external router) to the 'outside world' goes
20 > down[1].
23 Who said it doesn't. Those are two separate situations, and a D-Bus aware
24 system can address one of them. Inability to handle the latter is not a
25 valid criticism of the former. That's like criticising a great footballer
26 for being rubbish at tennis.
27
28 > As far as both the application and the user are concerned the
29 > effect is exactly the same in both cases - the application is
30 > offline.
31
32 The symptom is the same but the cause, and treatment, are different.
33
34 > If it is considered important to inform the application of one,
35 > then it should be equally important to inform the application of the
36 > other. If a network interface goes offline then the user needs to know,
37 > so as to take corrective action, but I do not think that telling the web
38 > browser and mail applications is the correct way of informing the user.
39
40 So the the network manager has to send a D-Bus message to a notification
41 daemon which then tells the user to put his mailer in offline mode,
42 hoping he can do that before it tries to access the server again? I
43 thought computers were supposed to make life easier for us by automating
44 such mundane tasks. Your suggestion is a little like a washing machine
45 beeping at you to say "I've finished the rinse now, switch me to spin"
46 instead of just doing it.
50 Neil Bothwick
51
52 Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.