From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 18:11:23
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 5/10/20 1:02 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Hi Michael,
4 >>
5 >> I think it is too.  Your link shows about what the link I was looking
6 >> at does.
7 >>
8 >> I did research the SATA and SAS connector issue again.  Seagate has a
9 >> picture of both for comparison and the drive I was looking at is a
10 >> SAS drive.  When I did more research, it seems you can connect a SATA
11 >> drive to SAS but not a SAS drive to SATA, unless that has changed
12 >> since the site I found posted about it.  Either way, while it does
13 >> seem to be PMR, I don't want to chance it not working since it is a
14 >> SAS drive.  I need to weed out SAS type drives unless I want to buy a
15 >> SAS drive controller card as well, to be certain it will work.  For
16 >> those curious, this is a link that shows a picture.  One has to look
17 >> closely because at a glance, they look a LOT alike.
18 >>
19 >> https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/connecting-sata-drive-to-sas-controller-006170en/
23 >> SATA drives may be plugged into SAS controllers.
24 >>
25 >> SAS drives cannot be plugged into SATA controllers.
28 >> Back to digging and waiting for a good deal.
29 >>
30 >> Thanks much for the help.  :-D
31 >
32 > That drive is a SAS drive and they use a generic photo of a hard drive
33 > - don't rely on those. That line of hard drives offer both SATA and
34 > SAS drives dependent on model.
35 >
36 > They aren't compatible with SATA controllers.
37 >
38 > And yes, SATA drives can be used on a SAS controller - I've been
39 > running that configuration on my file server for about 12 years.
40 >
41 > Dan
46 The drive I found on ebay has a picture of the actual drive.  When I
47 found the difference, the link I posted, then I could see the drive is a
48 SAS.  The link I found explained that a SAS drive will not work with a
49 SATA port like I have.  It can work the other way around tho like you
50 have.  So, if I had a SAS controller, I could use SATA drives or SAS and
51 it work.  However, I have SATA controllers and can not hook up that SAS
52 drive.  They make a adapter and I found those on sale but I'm not
53 willing to spend $150 to see if it works.  It might, it might not.
54 Either way, I get the difference between SATA and SAS now.  Different
55 connector but seems to be a much more durable drive.
56
57 I thought I read a year or so ago the connectors was different but I
58 wasn't sure.  I thought maybe I misunderstood something or was just
59 wrong.  Turns out, it is different.  The one thing I wasn't sure at all
60 on, PMR or SMR.  It appeared to be PMR but I couldn't confirm it with
61 certainty.  It seems drive makers are being pretty deceptive on what
62 drives use.
63
64 I did find a WD Red 8TB drive.  It costs a good bit more.  It's a good
65 deal but still costs more.  I'm going to keep looking.  Eventually I'll
66 either spend the money on the drive or find a really good deal.  My home
67 directory is at 69% so I got some time left.  Of course, my collection
68 is still growing. o_O
69
70 Thanks for the extra info.
71