From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT: 'profit motive' - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 22:34:58
1 On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:35:39 +0000
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > Tanstaafl:
8 > > On 2014-02-21 12:17 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
9 > >> Then you ignore self-destructive behaviour which is a common
10 > >> thing in this world. It can even be intentional, causing no
11 > >> emotional, financial, social or intellectual profit. Maybe you
12 > >> have never met such a person or have never been in such an
13 > >> environment.
14 > >
15 > > You are confusing 'intent' with 'result'.
16 >
17 > No. You are confusing yourself with the rest of the world.
18
19 :-)
20
21 > > Even self-destructive behavior is in the vast majority of cases
22 > > engaged in with the *intention* of profit. Best example I can think
23 > > of would be a drug addict/alcoholic. When they use/drink, they
24 > > 'profit' in that the feel better (albeit temporarily), regardless
25 > > of the ultimate result.
28 > I wasn't really talking about drug addicts.
29 >
30 > If you are interested in real self-destructive behaviour, talk to
31 > someone who has worked in an asylum which is only one interesting
32 > environment that can make you think very different about "people".
33 >
34 > There are even people who are not driven by anything, not even
35 > self-destruction. Pure apathy.
36 >
37 > Another interesting thing... talk to a trial lawyer who has been in
38 > that business for 10+ years. I really doubt that many of those will
39 > support your "profit intention" concept. Most of the time it's about
40 > short-cut reactions that are merely following instincts or emotional
41 > impulses. Strong emotions can make someone lose control and do all
42 > sorts of weird things without any hope or intention of
43 > improving/gaining anything for living it out.
44 > It's chemistry, it changes your consciousness. "Profit" is a bit more
45 > complex and requires a minimum amount of reflection, even if it is
46 > subconscious, short sighted and follows false assumptions.
47 >
48 > So these are just 3 points why your generalization does not work, like
49 > most of those "all people..." phrases. Unless you hack on the
50 > definition until it suits your interpretation, like redefining "profit
51 > intention" to "intention".
52
53 Thank you for the wonderful answer!
54
55 > This reminds me of "the user" in computer science papers. Well, which
66 >