From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting locale
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 17:42:08
1 Am 30.05.2011 16:43, schrieb David W Noon:
2 > On Mon, 30 May 2011 04:20:01 +0200, Nils Larsson wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] setting locale:
4 >
5 >> måndagen den 30 maj 2011 03:26:49 skrev Allan Gottlieb:
6 >>> What must I do to get "en_US_utf8" ?
7 >>
8 >> echo "LANG=en_US_utf8" > /etc/env.d/02locale
9 >> and
10 >> env-update
11 >> should work.
12 >
13 > Not likely. The correct locale string is "en_US.UTF-8", not the mess
14 > that is written above.
17 Please stay polite. It also saves you the effort of writing those words. ;)
18
19 > Moreover, I never use file redirection from echo when a text editor is
20 > a more appropriate tool. What you have suggested above could well
21 > replace a valid locale setting with an that invalid one, without any
22 > checks at all on the existing contents of the file. So, it's best to
23 > use vim, nano or even emacs for such a job.
24
25 Sure thing. However, it is much faster to type `echo foo > bar` than
26 writing "Open your favorite file editor and enter 'foo' into 'bar'."
27 Being concise is often the better approach when you want to show a
28 solution to the problem at hand instead of educating the reader.
29
30 Everyone who is able to install Gentoo should be able to understand the
31 shell line and use whatever approach he wants to achieve the same result
32 and if he is satisfied with the given line, he has a copy-and-paste
33 solution at hand (my colleagues call this "service to the reader").
34
35 Regards,
36 Florian Philipp