From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive storage questions
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 14:50:10
1 2015-04-28 5:39 GMT-03:00 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I have a 3TB hard drive that I use for my /home partition. I'm going to
6 > be having to expand this before to long, lots of videos on there. The
7 > 4TB is a bit pricey and I would end up having to expand that to before
8 > to long. So, I got to thinking, why not buy another 3TB drive and just
9 > add that which would double my space. I use LVM by the way. I may try
10 > BTFS, (sp?). Either way, adding a drive shouldn't be to much of a
11 > problem.
12 >
13 > On one hand, adding a drive would double my space. It would also spread
14 > out my stuff in the event a drive failed. On the other hand, one more
15 > drive to have spinning that could fail too. These large drives makes me
16 > wonder sometimes.
17 >
18 > What do you guys, gals too, think about this? Just add a drive or buy a
19 > larger drive and move things over? Or is this a six of one and half
20 > dozen of the other thing?
21 >
22 > Dale
26 > P. S.
29 > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
30 > /dev/mapper/Home2-Home2 2.7T 1.8T 945G 66% /home
35 I've already had my /home partition filled up, and it was just one of the
36 partitions on the only hard drive inside this machine.
37
38 Nowadays I have 3 more hard drives on this same machine, which makes 4
39 drives in total. None of them so big, though, the newest one is 1TB.
40
41 Now, talking about redundancy, if you worry about many - or all - of your
42 files, perhaps you should consider a RAID. Although expensive, it makes
43 one's mind more relaxed ;-) . Basically, what I have seen is that many
44 people worry about backing up files when at work, but completely forget
45 about it on personal computers.
46
47 Best regards, and good luck!
48 Francisco