From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 20:11:12
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 8:41 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Oh I mean the *default*. We should not need to change the inittab to
6 >> have it disabled by default.
7 >>
8 >> Isn't commenting out the whole line sufficient?
11 > Uh, commenting out the line is changing the inittab (and I have no
12 > idea if it works or not offhand).
13 >
14 > With Gentoo I prefer to not have huge religious debates about Gentoo.
15 > We try to give users as much choice as possible which lets us sidestep
16 > stupid arguments about whether such-and-such is better than something
17 > else. The problem is that by their nature there usually can only be
18 > one default (or one default default if you want to make it turtles all
19 > the way down with profiles and such). So, suddenly we end up fighting
20 > over this stuff anyway...
21
22 Living in the past is not onwardly a good default.
25 (At first I wanted to say "Living in the past seldom is a good default."
26 --- but the usage of "seldom" and the idea of using "seldomly" gave me
27 to think, and it seems that "seldom" can mean something like "not
28 onwardly". And I don't know whether it should be "Living in the past is
29 seldom a good default." --- which even I notice could be considered as
30 rather unfriendly by native English speakers --- or "... seldom is ...".
31 However, "not onwardly" might create an interesting tautology here, so
32 it has it's merits.)
36 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
37 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.