From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network start delay?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 23:22:34
1 On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 10:37 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a quick question about my init scripts.
5 >
6 > I start my wireless network with the script
7 >
8 > /etc/init.d/net.eth2
9 >
10 > which is started by init in the "default" runlevel.
11 >
12 > I also have
13 >
14 > /etc/init.d/netmount
15 >
16 > to mount some samba shares, and which is also started my init in the "default"
17 > runlevel, but depends on "net" from the line:
18 >
19 > local myneed="net"
20 >
21 > So, as I understand it, this makes sure that init starts net.eth* before
22 > starting netmount. That's good. However, eth2 is on a DHCP-enabled connection
23 > and takes a few seconds to come up after starting the script. By the time
24 > netmount is started, net.eth2 has not finished coming up, so netmount fails
25 > and the samba shares are never mounted automatically.
26 >
27 > Is there a way to make the netmount script wait for a route to exist before
28 > attempting to connect?
29
30 net.eth2 "shouldn't" return (by default) until it has a dhcp address,
31 which means all other scripts starting after it will wait until you have
32 an address.
33
34 Things you might have done to change the default behaviour include
35 RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP, and RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING in /etc/conf.d/rc.
36
37 You can set them to "no", and "yes" respectively and see if the
38 following scripts wait...
39
40 HTH,
44 When you're in command, command.