From: Willie Matthews <matthews.willie@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] I am tired of this one.
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 20:11:43
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I have been dealing with this problem for awhile now. I have two nVidia
4 video cards, one is a PNY 8400 GS PCIe and the other is a 6150 LE built
5 onto the board.
6
7 Problem is I want to use the nVidia driver with my 8400 GS but when I do
8 try to use it, it will just lock up the entire computer. Sometime I can
9 ssh in and sometimes I can't. I don't have compiz or anything like that.
10 I am using the xfce compositor.
11
12 While I do get to use the card for about 30 seconds to a minute, I can't
13 open the nVidia X Server Settings panel, display panel nor anything that
14 has to do with flash in chrome.
15
16 A couple of the things that I have noticed about the Xorg Log is that
17 the 8400 GS is reported as having 512mb or video memory when I know it
18 is only 256. The 6150 is reported as having 256 and I am not sure how
19 much that one is using. I have a feeling it is shared.
20
21 When I am using the 6150 LE and I have the 8400 GS in also. The nVidia X
22 Server Setting also says the same amounts of video memory.
23
24 I haven been using this install of Gentoo for years now. The only thing
25 that has changed in that time that has to do with Video Cards is Cuda. I
26 use to use it a little for experiments. All in all the 6150 doesn't
27 support Cuda and the 8400 GS does.
28
29 Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
33 Willie Matthews
34 matthews.willie@×××××.com