From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: @preserved-rebuild gone in a loop
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:29:16
1 On Monday 16 Dec 2013 04:04:34 eroen wrote:
2 > On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:37:53 +0100
3 >
4 > Benjamin Block <bebl@××××.org> wrote:
5 > > Most of the times, when some binary packages on my systems do cause
6 > > something like this, then I just unemerge the package that keeps
7 > > recompiling and emerge it again afterwards. This will cause the
8 > > portage to drop the library-references in question and add new ones.
9 > >
10 > > So, this should do the trick:
11 > > emerge -C app-antivirus/avast4workstation
12 > > emerge -1 app-antivirus/avast4workstation
13 >
14 > This will make the message from portage and the old library version go
15 > away, yes. It will also cause the program that used the library
16 > (/opt/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui in OP's case) crash when you try
17 > to run it, due to the old library version not being installed.
18 >
19 > The correct solution to this is to add the specific (old) version of the
20 > library to the dependencies (in the ebuild) of the (binary) package that
21 > uses it. This will prevent an upgrade that uninstalls the old library
22 > version. Sometimes the maintainer of the library will add a slotted
23 > version of it, so that non-binary users of it do not have to use the
24 > outdated version.
25 >
26 > If the binary package is not an ebuild, you can manually add the newer
27 > library version to package.mask, or make sure that the slot for the
28 > older version is installed if the library is slotted.
29 >
30 > Better yet (in all cases), get a more recent version of the binary
31 > package that is built against the newer version of the library.
32 > Complain to the vendor if none is available :-)
33 >
34 > The preserve-libs feature in portage is intended to let things keep on
35 > working short-term for source-distributed packages. In that case, the
36 > currently installed program is linked against the old library version,
37 > and when the program is rebuilt (with @preserved-rebuild) it will be
38 > linked against the newer version.
39
40 Thank you for a detailed explanation, which makes sense to me. You are right,
41 uninstalling, running @preserved-rebuild and reinstalling this package breaks
42 the avastgui because of the missing libpangox-1.0.so.0 library. Thankfully,
43 the command line function is unaffected.
44
45 I wouldn't want to keep old libraries around unnecessarily, so I may have to
46 chase the dev for this package and see if he's still interested to look after
47 it.
48 --
49 Regards,
50 Mick