From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 with x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 -- file conflict
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 00:46:25
1 x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2 won't compile due to a file conflict,
2 but portageq does not see it.
3
4 Background:
5
6 I've been masking out the new xorg server, but things have started to
7 break, so I'm giving in.
8
9 The process has been shaky, and I'm currently running something
10 different from what I've compiled -- an unstable and worrisome
11 condition.
12
13 The last piece seems to be the ATI drivers, which have forced me to
14 reconfigure the kernel 2 or 3 times. Fortunately I was able to do
15 that before any of the recompilations that are now out of sync with my
16 running system.
17
18 The problem: Compiling the driver errors out with this message
19
20 >>> Installing x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2
21 * checking 126 files for package collisions
22 * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
23 * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
24 * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
25 * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
26 * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
27 * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
28 * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
29 * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
30 * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
31 * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
32 * two packages install the same file(s). Once again, please do NOT file
33 * a bug report unless you have completely understood the above message.
34 *
35 * Detected file collision(s):
36 *
37 * /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions/libglx.so
38 *
39 * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
40 *
41 * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
42 *
43 * x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
44 * /usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions/libglx.so
45 *
46 * Package 'x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2' NOT merged due to file
47 * collisions. If necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole
48 * content of the above message.
49
50 >>> Failed to install x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2, Log file:
51
52 The log has no information not in the error message above. The
53 portageq command suggested in the message names only one package:
54 xorg-server, but not the ati driver. But the file is clearly listed
55 earlier among the files it will check for collisions.
56
57 Anybody know how to work around this?
58
59 ++ kevin
62 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD