From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:03:35
1 On 23 February 2010 11:48, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
9 >>>> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
10 >>>> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
11 >>>
12 >>> Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
13 >>> in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
14 >>
15 >> No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
16 >> one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
17 >> time. GMane does that for me instead.
18 >
19 > Just to make my point more clear:
20 >
21 >  http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png
22 >
23 > All of these under the "GMane" groups are mailing lists, but they appear
24 > just like Usenet newsgroups.  I can't imagine any easier way to easily deal
25 > with 30+ mailing list subscriptions.
26
27 Also, unlike when using a mail client, with usenet you don't have to
28 download the message/thread if you're not interested in reading it.
29
30 Back to the OP's topic, I am also using Knode (but not for this M/L).
31 If you set your USE flags right you should be able to continue using
32 Kmail/Knode without some of the dependencies that the full KDE4
33 desktop requires. However, I don't know if from KDE4.4 changes on
34 dependencies (as per recent thread on semantic-desktop) mean that more
35 of these will be pulled in.
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick