From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dlna &amp; Gentoo
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 04:24:28
1 Stroller <stroller <at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
4 > I don't understand how you would control either a web-browser, or a
5 > web-server, using DLNA.
6
7 Agreed. DLNA is new for me too. I'm going to find an integrated receiver
8 with ethernet and drag a laptop into a store and see how is works.
9
10 There just not much documentation on what each vendor is doing,
11 and asking some penny-poke in the store how it works is useless.
12 Now I've discovered that not lots of (astute) folks have work with this
13 "DLNA" either..... (go figure)
14
15 > there can be loads of other incompatibilities
16 > when trying to actually stream the music between devices in the home.
17 > But I would reckon that browser compatibility is the least of your
18 > problems.
19
20 Most likely MicroSoft has infected this space as I cannot find
21 lots of docs about interoperability, testing or certification
22 lists anywhere. Besides that's what vendors (usually) do in my
23 experience..... DLNA is very loose from what I read about it.
24
25 Oh well, it's now another project and the ethernet port just might not
26 be worth it. I have loads of audio gear already. I'm experimenting
27 and build a sound system for every need, with a method for my kids
28 to be able to use the AV with DVD and terrestrial radio and such.
29
30 Once last thing. It's nice to have these integrated amps for 'light duty'
31 audio and letting the kids and such use the system. When I power up the
32 big amps (2K watts), I use the 'pre-outs' in the integrated receiver to feed
33 into a mixer. If you make it so you have to use a computer for simple sound
34 then some kids and some folks get flustered..... imho. I think this
35 space is very dynamic as vendors struggle to understand how to let
36 customers have what they want, and still maintain some differential
37 control over their products features......
38
39 YEP look here (MicroSuck) is front and center. SO DLNA will SUCK!
40
41 http://www.dlna.org/about_us/roster/
44 Just what I feared. I guess vendors are just too stupid to realize
45 all they have to do is put ethernet on the product and document
46 what paramaters to pass over which open standard protocol (RFC)
47 and ports they want to use and Whamo it works......
50 This is just what I figured it was. Microsoft contaminated crap.....
53 thanks for all the input,
56 James