From: Phil Sexton <philsexton@×××××××.Net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: "Space" opera
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 05:07:24
1 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > my harddisk begins to sound a little "strange"...I fear I have to
5 > buy a new (bigger) one.
6 >
7 > When I have to copy my current / to another harddisk, which has a
8 > different physical layout of partitions and another overall size --
9 > how would I do this best (conserving as much of the information
10 > of the old root as possible)
11 >
12 > Is cp -a sufficient ?
13 >
14 > In this case is conservation of information more worth than
15 > performance for me.
16 >
17 > Thank you very much for any help in advance !
18 > gen2! :)
19 > mcc
20
21 Here is my favorite way, I tar them over
22
23 cd /mnt/source
24 tar cf - . | (cd /mnt/destination && tar xBfp -)
25
26 See man tar for the flags.
27
28 http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/lpt/18_16.html