From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Brutal force attack
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 19:19:27
1 On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 20:12 +0100, Luigi Pinna wrote:
2 > I read now from my logs that there is someone who try to login in my
3 > computer.
4 > He uses always dynamic ip address or in every case he changes his ip
5 > everyday.
6 > What can I do?
7 > I have all the ip but it is first time that I see an attack versus me
8 > Thanks for the tips
9 > Luigi
10
11 Assuming they are not spoofed IP's, then you need to contact the owner
12 of those IP's. The whois command (shell, not irc) will help you here.
13 But don't expect much help, most networks view stopping such attacks as
14 a waste of their money.
15
16 The next best thing to do would be to talk to your own service provider.
17 Unfortunately, most of the time they will have zero clue what in the
18 heck you are talking about.
19
20 In the end you'll probably have to take it into your own hands, put up a
21 firewall, etc. Of course, a firewall won't help much if the attack is so
22 heavy it eats up your bandwidth.
23
24 Good luck, this is never easy.
27 fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××××××××.net>