From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Power failure in the middle of emerge --emptytree world
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:09:05
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > >> That was for future reference. If in the future you are seeing it copy
4 > >> the install over and power fails, then you may need to re-emerge it and
5 > >> be ready for "issues". I'm not really sure what those would be
6 > though.
7 > >> It may work just fine, it may not.
8 > >>
9 > >> I'm bad at looking to far ahead. My wife has noticed that too. :\
10 >
11 > This is an important detail and you're right to be concerned about
12 > it. However, AFAIK, portage handles this pretty well. You should
13 > receive some type of notice about an "incomplete merge" if a merge has
14 > been interrupted.
15 >
16 > Zac
17
18 I have had to stop emerges before and it doesn't hurt anything. The
19 power failure is basically the same as ctrl + c or killing the process.
20 I have done that a few times before and it has never been a problem or
21 caused any that I know of.
22
23 That said, I have never had the same situation during the actual copying
24 of the install from the tmp location to the running system though. I'm
25 sure someone that codes portage has thought of this and as you said, I
26 am sure there is some "feature" that would deal with this. I'm not sure
27 when this error or message would pop up though. If you think about it,
28 the actual install is really short so it may not happen very often.
29
30 Let's just hope nobody has this problem and it causes any problems. ;-)
31
32 Dale
33
35 --