From: Pawel K <pawlaczus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardware autodetection at boot
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 09:12:42
1 &gt; Yes. You need to compile the drivers for your hard disc, hard disc controller
2 &gt; and root filesystem into the kernel, not as modules. Otherwise the kernel
3 &gt; can't access the hardware to load the drivers it needs.
4
5 While it is easy to find the kernel configuration entry for ext3 it is not so easy to find the one for my disk controller.
6 I used some hardware detection tools to grab the information about my hardware.
7 It shows the following information about my IDE controller:
8
9 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; description: IDE interface
10 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; product: 82801BA IDE U100 Controller
11 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; vendor: Intel Corporation
12 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; physical id: 1f.1
13 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
14 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; version: 05
15 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; width: 32 bits
16 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; clock: 33MHz
17 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; capabilities: ide bus_master
18 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; configuration: driver=PIIX_IDE latency=0
19
20 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801BA IDE U100 Controller (rev 05)
21
22 What kernel configuration should I set up for my controller.
23 I cannot see the "PIIX_IDE" in my kernel.
24
25 The best option for me would be to compile the kernel with everything build-in.
26 Then to run a tool that generates the minimal kernel configuration for my system.
27 Compile the kernel again with my minimal kernel ".config" file and start using it.
28 Is it possible ?
29 If so how can I do that ?
30
31 thanks for help