From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:59:13
1 On Sunday 15 Jan 2012 14:19:07 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2012-01-15 3:50 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 > > Well, I *always* change my sshd ports, not for added security, but
4 > > because I'm tired of seeing failed login attempts from China. The daily
5 > > log became *much* shorter after I moved the port somewhere else.
6 >
7 > That is the *only* legitimate reason (I can think of) to change the
8 > port... but it always irks me when someone thinks they are truly gaining
9 > any extra *security* through doing so...
10
11 They are ... not at all in terms of complexity (the difficulty of cracking the
12 ssh password remains exactly the same), but yes in terms of probability (fewer
13 attempts to crack the password).
14
15 Of course, using public keys instead of passwords improves difficulty by orders
16 of magnitude, but for the sake of reducing bandwidth alone, I think that
17 changing the sshd port makes sense.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick