From: Mark <znxster@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are *.so library files executable?
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:12:21
1 On 5 June 2011 15:43, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Why are *.so files set as executables?  I noticed that they keep working if
3 > I do a "chmod a-x" on them.
4
5 You can in fact make a library be an executable at the same time, see:
6 /lib/libc.so.6
7
8 For those that care if can be accomplished by this method:
9 http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-07/msg00232.html.
10
11 By rights shared libraries are a form of executable, the trick however
12 is that they have multiple entry points (whereas binaries have one).
13
14 I am not entirely sure the requirement for +x is needed anymore (it
15 certainly was in the past).
16
17 Thanks
18 Mark