From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How often -uD world?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 03:07:42
1 090909 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > My netbook has only (4+8)G of sketchy SSD + SDHC RAM for everything
3 > and I am determined not to emerge anything I don't really need.
4 > But now that I'm mobile I have the capability of doing a -uD world
5 > whenever it's required without having to take days of dialup time.
6 > Question is, when's that? I assume with fewer packages,
7 > updating is not as urgent as on a big desktop
8 > with lots of HD space and lots of apps.
9
10 I recently successfully updated my stand-by desktop machine after 10 months.
11 I never do 'emerge world' without the '-p' flag,
12 but 'emerge -Dup world' shows an ordered list of what needs doing
13 & you can work thro' the list 1 lineful of pkgs at a time.
14 I update my working machine once/week ('eix-sync' & 'emerge -Dup world').
18 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
19 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
20 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca