From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Moving root filesystem to a new partition
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:06:13
1 Can someone tell me what steps are necessary to move the / filesystem to a
2 new partition? I recall someone helping me with this before, but cannot
3 find the email. The oldest of three drives on my system had my / partition,
4 /dev/sdc1. One day recently, that partition became inaccessable. After
5 quickly installing Ubuntu on a different drive, that root partition
6 eventually showed up again.
7
8 So I've been able to boot Gentoo again off the separate /boot partition on
9 /dev/sda1. I need to move that / partition. I have several other
10 partitions mounted off this one, mainly as /usr and maybe /usr/local/, and
11 some storage partitions mounted to my home directory.
12
13 I copied the root (/) partition with the new partition at /dev/sdb5 mounted
14 as /newroot, using
15 # cp -ax / /newroot
16
17 I checked that /proc, /dev, and /sys are there, and empty. I recall there
18 are some other steps necessary. I changed /etc/fstab, and the grub2
19 grub.cfg from ubuntu, the entry for this kernel. The boot stalls at a
20 certain point.
21
22 May I ask what steps are necessary to do this?
23
24 Thank you,
25
26 Alan Davis