From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IO latency issues
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 18:33:04
1 Am 09.03.2013 19:15, schrieb Florian Philipp:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > Whenever I do sequential IO for a long stretch of time (e.g. md5summing
5 > 40 GB), I'm experiencing high load (ca. 6 on a 4 CPU system) and
6 > temporary freezes of most applications. For example, switching between
7 > tabs in konsole sometimes takes more than 2 seconds.
8 >
9 > When doing this on an ext4 filesystem, the load seems to result from
10 > khugepaged and kswapd0 as well as some kworkers.
11 >
12 > I think I've had similar issues with NFS over wifi but I cannot test
13 > this now.
14 >
15 > Today I copied 60GB from my hard disk to an USB disk formatted with
16 > NTFS, issuing the copy command from KDE's dolphin. The freezes became so
17 > long it was impossible to work and then X11 locked up and had to be killed.
18 >
19 > I tried using a preemptive kernel but that didn't seem to help. blkio
20 > and cpu cgroups didn't help either. Ionice seems to be the only solution
21 > but while I'm okay with that, my dad won't be. Can anyone tell me what
22 > is causing this behavior?
23 >
24 > Throughput is good, by the way. That's why I don't suspect a driver issue.
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance!
27 > Florian Philipp
28 >
29 congratulation. You hit 'the bug'. Been around for ages, but for magical
30 reasons kernel dev are unable to see or unable to do something about it.
31 If you are using a vanilla kernel, posting on lkml might be the right
32 thing to do.