From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED]Re: [gentoo-user] [A bit off-topic] Bash alias and &
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 15:55:01
1 On 06/12/16 23:07, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > On 06/12/16 22:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 12/06/2016 16:33, Nico Verrijdt wrote:
4 >>> Hi Andrew,
5 >>>
6 >>> 2016-06-12 16:26 GMT+02:00 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au
7 >>> <mailto:agl@×××××××.au>>:
8 >>>
9 >>> Hi all,
10 >>> A bit off topic here, but there are plenty of people who
11 >>> seem to know their shells back to front so here goes.
12 >>>
13 >>> I have set up a Win32 based development environment,
14 >>> bash/cc/ls/etc/etc, for 1st year Engineering students who have to
15 >>> learn C on a command line. It's fine for me to remember to put the &
16 >>> at the end of the command when I fire up the editor but for them,
17 >>> it's major angst.
18 >>>
19 >>> The first thing that comes to mind is an alias. Just off
20 >>> the top of my head I tried:
21 >>>
22 >>> alias "npp=npp %1 &"
23 >>>
24 >>> Shouldn't this be: alias npp="npp %1 &" ?
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >>> npp being the editor, but that didn't work. Is an alias the
28 >>> best/easiest way to do this and if so, what would the syntax be, or
29 >>> is there a better way?
30 >>>
31 >>> Any thoughts, greatly appreciated,
32 >>>
33 >>> Andrew
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>> Hope this helps,
37 >>> Nico
40 >> Or just tell them to remember to add the & at the end.
41 >> With an alias what will they do when they don't want it?
42 >>
43 >> Or look at it this way:
44 >>
45 >> It's syntax, it's important. C is probably more syntax-critical than any
46 >> other language around (binds to the right, anyone?) so what's the
47 >> problem with requiring correct syntax on the command line as well?
48 >>
49 >> Obligatory disclaimer: I've recently had a bellyache full of dumb people
50 >> who insist I put code when a human (themselves) belongs...
51 >>
52 > Yes, I agree BUT, this is a "half subject" in a common first year of
53 > an Engineering degree. These are people who will become
54 > Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineers and they have no desire
55 > to learn programming. To put it bluntly, all they are interested in is
56 > their car, getting drunk and trying to get a root - the order may vary,
57 > but that is the top three priorities. Anything else is just too much to
58 > think about.
59 >
60 > In reality, I'm doing this to make my life easier. As much as I tell
61 > them to do something, write up documents that tell them what to do and
62 > reiterate what they have to do, I still get the question "It's broken,
63 > it won't do as I want...."
64 >
65 > Andrew
66 >
67 > p.s. Nico's point was a typo on my part in the email.
70 Simple answer to this which a single google search found. You CAN'T
71 pass parameters to an alias under Bash. You need to do a function. A
72 simple function of:
73
74 npp()
75 {