From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The NVIDIA/Kernel fiasco -- is it safe to sync yet?
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 07:53:24
1 On 24/08/2013 06:26, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> It looks like maybe the best way to tell which ebuilds support which
4 >> kernels is to read the conditional for the ewarn message in each
5 >> ebuild.
6 >
7 > If this sort of problem spreads it might be good to build into portage
8 > some kind of blocker/keyword mechanism so that users need not deal
9 > with this.... not that I have any appreciation for the work involved.
10
11 Those tools already exist.
12
13 Blockers, which do not really apply here;
14 elog messages
20 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml
21 >
22 > The goal of Gentoo is to design tools and systems that allow a user to
23 > do that work as pleasantly and efficiently as possible, as they see
24 > fit. Our tools should be a joy to use, and should help the user to
25 > appreciate the richness of the Linux and free software community, and
26 > the flexibility of free software.
27 >
28 > Kind of funny... Gentoo's mandate is sort of at odds with itself. A
29 > joy to use while simultaneously giving full flexibility.
30 >
31 > Chris
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com