From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo way of handling pre-built kernels
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:20:05
1 On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:42:17 +0100, Robert Szentmihalyi wrote:
2
3 > I have successfully deployed Gentoo on about 30 desktop PCs in a
4 > corporate environment.
5 > Now, as I need to update the kernel on those PCs, I wonder if there is
6 > a standard Gentoo way (maybe a script or something), that people are
7 > using to build and deploy binary kernel packages.
8
9 kernels are handled differently, even if you built a package with
10 --buildpkg or quickpkg, only the source would be included. If the systems
11 are identical, what's wrong with simply packaging up the relevant contents
12 of /boot and /lib/modules? Even better, if the machines are all
13 networked, push the changes out with rsync then use tentakel (or a for
14 loop) to reboot each box.
15
16 You could also put this in an update script on each of the boxes then use
17 tentakel to run it on some or all of them. tentakel (in portage) is a
18 handy way of running the same command on a group of machines, and you can
19 set up named groups and subgroups to make life even easier.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 I'm not tense, just terribly alert!