From: Peter Ruskin <peter.ruskin@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 10:08:21
1 On Tuesday 23 February 2010 05:42:25 Stroller wrote:
2 > Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
3 > "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager -
4 > use the whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something
5 > else instead of Kmail".
6 >
7 > I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using
8 > Knode for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac
9 > and open Knode in X11.
10 >
11 > I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been
12 > able to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
13 >
14 > I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually
15 > with the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies
16 > thing.
17 >
18 > It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an
19 > alternative that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part
20 > of the whole KDE4 environment.
21 >
22 > Any suggestions?
23 >
24 > Thanks in advance,
25 >
26 > Stroller.
27
28 I've always used pan in preference to knode.
31 Peter
33 Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc63 kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r5
34 AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor gcc(Gentoo: 4.4.3)
35 KDE: 3.5.10 Qt: 3.3.8b