From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel 6.0 upgrade broke sound to TV over HDMI
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 10:11:13
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 11:40 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I found a new version of the nvidia-drivers. I figured it might work
4 > with the new 6.0 kernel so I tested it. Sure enough, it compiled and
5 > installed.
6
7 And this is why compiling isn't evidence that something works. :)
8
9 What nvidia driver version are you using?
10
11 Also, why are you using it at all? The proprietary drivers their pros
12 and cons. The issues you're running into are one of the well-known
13 cons - if you want to run stable kernels, they'll be occasionally
14 breaking, and if you run mainline kernels they'll break all the time.
15
16 If you're going to run out-of-tree kernels you should almost certainly
17 stick to longterm kernels.
18
19 Usually people use the proprietary drivers for gaming,
20 high-performance 3D graphics in general, or CUDA (AI, video encoding,
21 etc). If you aren't doing one of those then I suspect the
22 linux-supplied drivers will just work and shouldn't ever break. You
23 can run stable kernels all you want with those.
26 Rich