From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 20:40:58
1 On Wednesday 27 May 2015 15:16:35 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 May 2015 09:21:37 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
4 >
5 > wrote:
6 > > > This is a KDE amd64 system with /usr under / and no initrd.
7 > >
8 > > Just to clarify, is /usr on a separate filesystem, or the same as /?
9 > > I don't think that is your problem in any case, but it might be
10 > > relevant.
11 >
12 > I didn't realise I wasn't clear, sorry. It might have been better if I'd
13 > said usr/ is under /. Anyway, it's not a separate partition.
14
15 It was clear to me. It did a double take after Canek's email and still
16 arrived at the same conclusion, but I accept that others read it differently.
19 > > > ... bunch of KDE stuff
20 > >
21 > > I've had the odd KDE issue along the way, like having extra panels
22 > > spawning off-screen with notifications showing up in wierd places as a
23 > > result. That doesn't sound like your specific problem, but assuming a
24 > > KDE expert doesn't chime in here you might consider pursuing those
25 > > questions in a KDE forum/list, or maybe even in the Gentoo forums
26 > > where there is a section for desktop environments. Again, assuming
27 > > somebody doesn't recognize your problem here.
28 >
29 > Since writing, I've found that my fonts have all changed as well. It's
30 > almost as though something were cruising my home directories and flipping
31 > bits. And KMail insists on using American English in the composer, despite
32 > my telling it UK. That may not be new though.
33 >
34 > I'm signed up to the KDE-Linux list already but I see hardly any traffic,
35 > and I suspect dark things about what happens to posts of mine on it.
36
37 Disclaimer: I am not using the full KDE desktop, but use a few KDE apps with
38 an enlightenment desktop.
39
40 In the last week or two I noticed an oddity with kdeinit4, which I haven't yet
41 been able to explain. I share it here in case it is related to your problem,
42 but even so my setup is different to yours and I have no explanation for it:
43
44 When away from base using insecure WiFi I run 'proxychains kdeinit4' to tunnel
45 back to a local machine at home and bounce off to the Internet from there.
46
47 Suddenly, my (old) Kmail-1.13.7 stopped using the tunnel. My (new)
48 Knode-4.4.11 is also not using the tunnel. They both just hang not
49 establishing a connection whatsoever. Konsole-2.14.2 is not using the tunnel
50 either.
51
52 Strangely, Konqueror-4.14.3 *is* using the tunnel as before. Launching
53 konsole directly with 'proxychains konsole' is using the tunnel. Kmail just
54 fails to get anywhere even when invoked directly with proxychains, rather than
55 via kdeinit4.
56
57 Proxychains was updated a couple of weeks ago and this problem may be related
58 to it (I've raised a bug just in case), or it may be that something changed in
59 KDE and this is the cause of both of our problems?
62 > > > The last thing is that at reboot the RAID-1 volume manager often fails
63 > > > to start. It says afterwards that it's running, but all the /dev/vg7/*
64 > > > are absent (that's where the logical volumes live). The file system
65 > > > root lives on /dev/md5 with metadata < 1.0, while /dev/vg7 has
66 > > > metadata >1.0. The fact that it happens often but not always suggests
67 > > > a timing problem to me.
68 > >
69 > > I've sometimes seen this sort of thing with kernel raid autodetection,
70 > > especially with metadata <1.
71 >
72 > More clarity needed on my part. The file-system root is /dev/md5 which has
73 > metadata < 1.0. It's found reliably by kernel autodetection. Subsidiary
74 > partitions are in /dev/md7 which has metadata > 1.0 and lvm2 volumes.
75 > Here's a bit of fstab:
76 >
77 > /dev/vg7/portage /usr/portage ext4 relatime,discard 1 3
78 > /dev/vg7/packages /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
79 > /dev/vg7/distfiles /usr/portage/distfiles ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
80 > /dev/vg7/local /usr/local ext4 relatime,discard 1 2
81 >
82 > It's the detection of md7 that often fails; I've had no trouble with md5.
83 >
84 > Several other directories are in lvm2 volumes in /dev/vg7, but nothing
85 > that's part of system.
86 >
87 > > I suspect that an initramfs might help
88 > > you out, assuming the filesystems on that RAID are useful in early
89 > > boot. However, openrc and the raid init scripts should do a good job
90 > > of configuring your raid if your mdadm.conf and such is correct, so if
91 > > you don't need those filesystems until late in boot I don't think an
92 > > initramfs will make much of a difference, since it would likely use
93 > > the exact same userspace tools as openrc already does. Make sure your
94 > > mdadm.conf is set up to search all devices that could contain RAID
95 > > (drive device names can get re-ordered), and it doesn't hurt to put
96 > > ARRAY lines in mdadm.conf to give it hints.
97 >
98 > Like this?
99 > ARRAY /dev/md1 devices=/dev/sda1,/dev/sdb1
100 > ARRAY /dev/md5 devices=/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5
101 > ARRAY /dev/md7 devices=/dev/sda7,/dev/sdb7
102
103 No, I have always used something like:
104
105 ARRAY /dev/md7 metadata=1.2 UUID=f9516418:7ef43875:4e922ca1:43796eb1 \
106 name=data_server:0
107
108 It may be that the /dev/sdaX takes longer to settle and this causes your
109 problem, but I can't tell for sure.
112 > I've just switched on a few more sensors in gkrellm, and I see Vcor2 at
113 > 3.00 and +3.3v at 3.34. Is it worth fiddling with those and related
114 > settings in the BIOS? I've always hesitated to do that, preferring to let
115 > it sort itself out.
116
117 If you haven't O/C'ed it, I'd leave it alone. However, if the voltage used to
118 be something different in the past and is now registering a lower value using
119 the same version BIOS firmware, then you could have a failing PSU. We all
120 know that this will inevitably lead to behavioural problems (inc. waving your
121 arms around and making noises ... :-))
124 Regards,
125 Mick