From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] pre-emerge steps
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 23:52:14
1 Having just been bitten by some of my hardware being abandoned with the latest
2 version of a software package I am left to question the entire philosophy in
3 gentoo of always running bleeding edge. Not touching a system that's working
4 is becoming far more tempting, and I'm curious as to what others here have to
5 say about that.
6
7 Part of the point of running Linux for me is to save money and run older
8 hardware, but that doesn't work if the latest versions of the software that I
9 like to use abandons that hardware.
10
11 What do the rest of you do in preparation for regular upgrades? On BSD there
12 was a /usr/ports/UPDATING file that I should check for notes on potential
13 problems with upgrades before performing them. What's the best way to check if
14 picking up a newer package could break my system? Ideally a way that isn't
15 prohibitively time-consuming...
16
17 Thanks,
18 Mike
19 --
20 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
21 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
22 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
23 --Albert Einstein