From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why media-libs are needed for an email client.
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:57:45
1 On Sunday 29 Dec 2013 14:39:53 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 03:53:14 -0800, Edward M wrote:
3 > > So basically
4 > >
5 > > kmail needs media-libs that KDE uses so it can play sound
6 > > notifications, even though i'm using another DE instead of KDE?
7 >
8 > Yes. If you were using KDE, all of those dependencies would already be in
9 > place for desktop notifications. It beats me why anyone would want to use
10 > KMail on KDE, let alone with any other DE.
11
12 Before all this KDE4 semantic desktop and KDEPIM nightmare was inflicted upon
13 Linux users, kmail was one of the better mail clients out there. It worked
14 beautifully with maildir file structure, integrated nicely with kgpg and
15 kleopatra, and its flat file address book met the needs of most desktop users
16 (who didn't need a CRM application and database as their mail address book).
17
18 Then the KDE4 ecosystem happened ... I still unsure what it tried to imitate:
19 the worst things of Gnome or MSWindows? :-(
22 Regards,
23 Mick