From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Memory cards, device notifier and remembering sd* designations.
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 20:50:36
1 Howdy,
2
3 From previous thread, I found a program that tests memory cards and USB
4 sticks to I think.  It might can test a hard drive too. It's called F3.
5 For those interested:
6
7 sys-block/f3
8
9 Anyway, it writes large files until the card/stick is full then verifies
10 the files for corruption etc.  It's pretty nifty.  So far, it found two
11 cards that were having a hard time of keeping files in good condition.
12 One card gave me trouble mounting even when done manually.  It was in
13 bad shape.  I retired those cards and have new ones on the way. Anyway,
14 new problem.  I have one card that tests fine.  I've reformatted it a
15 couple times but device notifier, DN, just will not see that it has been
16 plugged in.  I tried a different card reader, different adapter for
17 going from a TF or micro to SD card etc.  Other cards I plug in work
18 like they should.  I can mount the weird card manually without error.
19 The pictures on it were fine.  No sign of corruption at all.  I think
20 what happened, I mounted it manually the other day.  I seem to recall
21 reading somewhere that if you mount something manually, DN won't mount
22 it for you in the future until you tell it to forget the manual
23 mounting.  Thing is, I can't find where that is stored so I can remove
24 it.  Maybe it isn't supposed to do that anymore but is anyway.  Does
25 anyone know where those settings are stored?  Anyone know where I go to
26 tell it to see the card and offer to mount it with DN? I've looked
27 everywhere I can think of for this.
28
29 Also, I think this is a udisks feature but it may be some other software
30 that does this.  If I plug in a drive that I've plugged in before, it
31 remembers if it was sdf, sdj, sdk or whatever and uses what it was
32 recognized as before.  Given that I have reformatted these cards and it
33 sees them as a different card, those letters are getting on up there.
34 I'd like to reset that, tell it to forget previous usages or whatever
35 you call it so that I can start fresh.  Does anyone know where that is
36 stored?  I've looked in /etc and in several directories in /home/dale/.*
37 but can't find anything.  Any clues where that could be?  Google didn't
38 help either but I'm not real sure what to search for either.
39
40 By the way, deer are eating range cubes like crazy.  Eating at least 50
41 lbs a week.  Those cards are used in trail cameras out in the woods.
42 Linkys:
43
44 https://vimeo.com/449809766
45
46 https://vimeo.com/449822207
47
48 Thanks for any help figuring out how to correct the issues above.
49
50 Dale
51