From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coping with KDE upgrades
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:06:07
1 On Sunday 19 November 2006 16:25, Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Coping with KDE upgrades':
3 > 061119 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > Now I'm faced with the updates that came out this week
5 > > and I'd like to unmerge the many parts of KDE I will never use.
6 > > Would it be better to remove all but the obvious keepers?
7 >
8 > You need 3 things :
9 >
10 > kdelibs
11
12 This doesn't have to be in your world file because it will be pulled in as
13 a dependency of applications that require those libraries.
14
15 > kdebase-startkde (which emerges 16 other pkgs first)
16
17 Yes, this is a really easy one to miss, but it provides some fairly
18 essential scripts. It's certainly possible to run "KDE" without it, by
19 writing your own scripts, but that's almost getting to the point where
20 your are running KDE application in your own custom desktop environment.
21
22 Of course, it's fairly arbitrary where the line is between just running KDE
23 applications and running "KDE". Certainly you are running "KDE" if you
24 are running it as defined by upstream (kdelibs, kdebase, kdegames, kdepim,
25 etc.; the whole #!) which is achieved in Gentoo by emerging kde-meta
26 (modular) or kde (monolithic). Also, I doubt anyone would say you are
27 running KDE if you have amaroK in your Gnome session, even if you are
28 using kwin as your window manager. There's a lot of middle ground though.
29
30 > So start by unmerging everything, then merge 3.5.5 as above.
31
32 No need to unmerge first. 1) edit your world file, 2) emerge -n anything
33 want to keep, 3) emerge -a --depclean.
36 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
37 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
38 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
39 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh