From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel SRT + SSD + SATA
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:24:45
1 On Tuesday 25 Jun 2013 23:13:24 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 26/06/13 04:59, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On 25/06/2013 21:10, Mick wrote:
4 > >> Hi All,
5 > >>
6 > >> I am considering my options for a new rig destined to last a few years
7 > >> and one of the Dell machines on offer has this Intel SRT fake-raid
8 > >> feature, which after some cursory googling, I am not entirely sure will
9 > >> work with Linux.
10 >
11 > It will probably work quite well ... easy to set up, use and is reliable
12 > ... until the motherboard fails and you find that ALL your data is now
13 > inaccessible until you buy a compatible motherboard ... which may not
14 > exist! - been there, done that, never again :) From memory there was no
15 > linux driver needed (it was all done in the chipset).
16
17 Ha! In my enthusiasm I forgot the basics! I am thinking though that SSD
18 caching will only ever work in MSWindows with the dedicated Intel driver, not
19 in Linux (at least not until someone writes a driver for it).
20
21 I was going to overcome this eventuality by installing Gentoo on the SSD and
22 mirroring it on the HD somehow - not sure how at this moment.
25 > Use soft raid, its performance is at least as good (there was a report
26 > saying it was usually better, even against some lower end dedicated raid
27 > cards which were resource constrained), and its portable.
28 >
29 > Thats not to say "dont use the box" - the disk interfaces are usually
30 > very good performers in standard mode so just dont use the raid mode.
31
32 I don't really need RAID, but want to safeguard my SSD installed OS, ideally
33 automatically so.
36 Regards,
37 Mick