From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sysloggers
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:33:42
1 On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Does anyone have decent experience with sysloggers other than syslog-ng,
6 > and
7 > be willing to share experiences?
8 >
9 > I'm especially interested in some of the advanced features of syslog-ng
10 > Premium from Balabit.com (based on and extending their open source
11 > version):
12 >
13 > SSL-encrypted traffic over the network
14 > Disk-based buffering on the client
15 > Windows agents
16 > Timezone aware (which syslog doesn't do and syslog-ng only partially)
17 > Encrypted disk files
18 > Filter, parse and rewrite incoming logs (vital if you need the auth log
19 > over
20 > here and the password field stored over there, without jumping through
21 > hoops
22 > first)
23 > High scalability - 2000 Cisco devices and 200+ servers to start,
24 > distributed
25 > country wide
26 >
27 > --
28 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
31 syslog-ng is the de facto standard. Metalog is fine for desktops, but I use
32 syslog-ng on all my servers. Nearly all programs that can process log files
33 are compatible with it.
36 - Mark Shields